Have you made your calls today? It's easy to keep the pressure on. How do you think lobbyists are so successful in shaping US policy? #upinyourgrille Fight #PostFactual America. More on the most effective methods of contact.
COPY and PASTE. Do not share as the important information gets buried in the stream of notifications. Copy and Paste will keep the information visible.
This is truly a time to take action. Here is a nice resource: The absolute most important thing that people should be doing every day is calling their Senators and Representatives..
You should make 6 calls a day: 2 each (DC office and your local office) to your 2 Senators & your 1 Representative.
Fast, simple, easy... IMPORTANT. How to get your information.
- Text your zip code to 520-200-2223 (works nationwide) (data charges may apply)
- Your list of federal and state representatives will be texted to you so you can just click on their numbers.
It literally takes seconds and you will always have those numbers at the ready as you make those calls.
When you call, choose the option to talk to a staffer. Try and retry until you get through to a person. If there is not a real person and only a voicemail line use that option. Do not go to a website or send an email. Make sure that your message is in your own voice and is heard by a real person.
WHAT TO SAY
In order to be most effective, you must help the staffer quickly and efficiently get the point of your call. Do not ramble or vent. In college, I used to do political fundraising cold calls. It was fun and I made pretty decent money. Here's the formula I used for success.
- State clearly your full name and where you reside.
- Ask if you are speaking to the correct person to leave a comment for <your representative full title and name>
- Politely tell a little - one or two sentences - about why you care about the issue you are requesting action. Be fully informed.
- Politely and succinctly lay out what action you want <your representative full title and name> to take, be specific.
For example, today I shared the following with both Sen McCain and Sen Flake:
I have been an educational technology and professional development consultant for many years. Nobody wants to improve the Educational system more than I. However Ms. DeVos is not qualified nor does she possess the ideological temperment to represent the interests of all American students. Privatizing our public school system for profit is bad enough, but she also wants to impose her personal extreme religious agenda on our children. I urge the esteemed Senator to strongly oppose the appointment of Ms DeVos to Secretary of Education."
Please copy and paste this to your status... Don't just share. Fast, simple, easy... IMPORTANT.
UPDATED: Nifty Fifty app info. (Recommended by MIT Media Lab)
From the website:
Join the challenge
This is a grassroots challenge to get friends in 50 states to make calls to their congresspeople about an issue they care about. Live phone calls have the most impact. Your mission is to pass this along to friends who will make calls and also pass the message/link along. Three clicks and you’re in. We make calling easy. http://niftyfifty.org
UPDATED: FAX INFO
If you can't get through, send a fax.
Here’s the available fax numbers for U.S. senators, with hyperlinks to faxing through FaxZero, below:
- Jeff Sessions (R) Send Sen. Sessions a free fax
- Richard Shelby (R) Send Sen. Shelby a free fax
- Lisa Murkowski (R) Send Sen. Murkowski a free fax
- Dan Sullivan (R) Send Sen. Sullivan a free fax
- Jeff Flake (R) Send Sen. Flake a free fax
- John McCain (R) Send Sen. McCain a free fax
- John Boozman (R) Send Sen. Boozman a free fax
- Tom Cotton (R) Send Sen. Cotton a free fax
- Dianne Feinstein (D) Send Sen. Feinstein a free fax
- Kamala Harris (D) Send Sen. Harris a free fax
- Michael Bennet (D) Send Sen. Bennet a free fax
- Cory Gardner (R) Send Sen. Gardner a free fax
- Richard Blumenthal (D) Send Sen. Blumenthal a free fax
- Christopher Murphy (D) Send Sen. Murphy a free fax
- Bill Nelson (D) Send Sen. Nelson a free fax
- Marco Rubio (R) Send Sen. Rubio a free fax
- Johnny Isakson (R) Send Sen. Isakson a free fax
- David Perdue (R) Send Sen. Perdue a free fax
- Mazie Hirono (D) Send Sen. Hirono a free fax
- Brian Schatz (D) Send Sen. Schatz a free fax
- Mike Crapo (R) Send Sen. Crapo a free fax
- James Risch (R) Send Sen. Risch a free fax
- Tammy Duckworth (D) Send Sen. Duckworth a free fax
- Richard Durbin (D) Send Sen. Durbin a free fax
- Joe Donnelly (D) Send Sen. Donnelly a free fax
- Todd Young (R) doesn't take faxes
- Joni Ernst (R) Send Sen. Ernst a free fax
- Chuck Grassley (R) Send Sen. Grassley a free fax
- Jerry Moran (R) Send Sen. Moran a free fax
- Pat Roberts (R) Send Sen. Roberts a free fax
- Bill Cassidy (R) Send Sen. Cassidy a free fax
- John Kennedy (R) Send Sen. Kennedy a free fax
- Susan Collins (R) Send Sen. Collins a free fax
- Angus King (I) Send Sen. King a free fax
- Benjamin Cardin (D) Send Sen. Cardin a free fax
- Chris Hollen (D) Send Sen. Hollen a free fax
- Sorry, folks. Both Edward Markey (D) and Elizabeth Warren (D) don’t take faxes.
- Gary Peters (D) Send Sen. Peters a free fax
- Debbie Stabenow (D) Send Sen. Stabenow a free fax
- Thad Cochran (R) Send Sen. Cochran a free fax
- Roger Wicker (R) Send Sen. Wicker a free fax
- Roy Blunt (R) Send Sen. Blunt a free fax
- Claire McCaskill (D) Send Sen. McCaskill a free fax
- Steve Daines (R) Send Sen. Daines a free fax
- Jon Tester (D) Send Sen. Tester a free fax
- Margaret Hassan (D) Send Sen. Hassan a free fax
- Jeanne Shaheen (D) Send Sen. Shaheen a free fax
- Cory Booker (D) Send Sen. Booker a free fax
- Robert Menendez (D) Send Sen. Menendez a free fax
- Kirsten Gillibrand (D) Send Sen. Gillibrand a free fax
- Charles Schumer (D) Send Sen. Schumer a free fax
- Richard Burr (R) Send Sen. Burr a free fax
- Thom Tillis (R) Send Sen. Tillis a free fax
- Heidi Heitkamp (D) Send Sen. Heitkamp a free fax
- John Hoeven (R) Send Sen. Hoeven a free fax
- James Inhofe (R) Send Sen. Inhofe a free fax
- James Lankford (R) Send Sen. Lankford a free fax
- Jeff Merkley (D) Send Sen. Merkley a free fax
- Ron Wyden (D) Send Sen. Wyden a free fax
- Robert Casey (D) Send Sen. Casey a free fax
- Pat Toomey (R) Send Sen. Toomey a free fax
- Jack Reed (D) Send Sen. Reed a free fax
- Sheldon Whitehouse (D) Send Sen. Whitehouse a free fax
- Lindsey Graham (R) Send Sen. Graham a free fax
- Tim Scott (R) Send Sen. Scott a free fax
- Mike Rounds (R) Send Sen. Rounds a free fax
- John Thune (R) Send Sen. Thune a free fax
- Lamar Alexander (R) Send Sen. Alexander a free fax
- Bob Corker (R) Send Sen. Corker a free fax
- John Cornyn (R) Send Sen. Cornyn a free fax
- Ted Cruz (R) Send Sen. Cruz a free fax
- Orrin Hatch (R) Send Sen. Hatch a free fax
- Mike Lee (R) Send Sen. Lee a free fax
- Tim Kaine (D) Send Sen. Kaine a free fax
- Mark Warner (D) Send Sen. Warner a free fax
- Maria Cantwell (D) Send Sen. Cantwell a free fax
- Patty Murray (D) Send Sen. Murray a free fax
- Tammy Baldwin (D) Send Sen. Baldwin a free fax
- Ron Johnson (R) Send Sen. Johnson a free fax
You can use FaxZero’s page to easily search and get your House rep’s number.